Residential Supporter (Temporary)
Reports to: Manager, Residential Programs
Womankind uses the multidimensionality of our Asian heritage to work alongside survivors of gender-based violence as they build a path to healing. We are working tirelessly to create a future where we Rise Above Violence and our communities can innovate towards collective well-being, restoration, and social justice.
Survivors of domestic and sexual violence can find refuge, recovery, and renewal at Womankind’s two emergency residences. We strive to offer support and assistance in accessing services and resources. Our goal is to provide support and guidance to survivors so that they can live their lives free of abuse. We believe this is achieved when they can gain harmony in their lives and a sense of belonging to a community. Through these gains, individuals can recover from trauma and pursue independent lives.
The Residential Programs at Womankind are unique in that:
- We utilize a survivor-centered, trauma-informed, culturally congruent, and evidence-informed model of practice called MAP (Moving Ahead Positively). Survivors can transcend trauma through assistance in regaining trust and hope, which predominantly occurs via the power of relationships.
- Holistic wellness is another crucial component that is explored within residential services as trauma impacts the body, mind and spirit as much as it impacts life circumstances. Through voluntary group and individual wellness practices including acupuncture, trauma-sensitive yoga, Qi Gong exercises, and meditation, survivors have an opportunity to engage in a reconnection of the body, mind and spirit.
- We also seek to support the development of a community of support for processing and understanding the individual impact of trauma. In integrating our services throughout our various community-based programming, more avenues of assistance and support are offered to a survivor who can now pick and choose options of service provision that best meet their respective needs. For example, children and youth can participate in therapeutic art-based programs. Housing, employment and legal immigration services are also available.
- While Womankind serves mostly women and children, we take pride in providing services to survivors of various gender identities.
- This is a temporary and in-person position, from August to December 2023.
- There are two shifts/schedules available for this position with the opportunity to fill in for more open shifts during holidays and vacation time:
- Overnight shifts: Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays, 9 pm-7 am (30 hours)
- Weekend shifts: Saturdays and Sundays, 7 am to 7 pm + one Weekday shift, 1 pm-9 pm (32 hours)
- Ensure the facility is maintained in a safe and harmonious manner, including helping residents manage crises, solve problems, and resolve conflicts
- Support and strengthen the functioning of women and their children as well as other staff
- Ensure the wellbeing and advancement of the children in the residence if working on weekdays
- Provide direct childcare services that are safe and comforting to children, including feeding/changing, supervising, empowering and enriching children
- Prepare and record meals according to CACFP regulations
- Coordinate child enrichment programs
- Work with the Youth and Residential Advocate to improve care and functioning of the children
- If working day shifts at any time, perform in-person assessment of incoming clients
- If working night or weekend shifts, answer hotline
- Liaise and communicate with outside contractors and service providers
- Perform maintenance tasks as needed; for example, room preparation and light cleaning
- Ensure that the residence is appropriately staffed according to regulations, meaning the staff member cannot leave until the staff’s replacement arrives and must be on call for extra shifts in case of emergency
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Some High School; High School Diploma or High School Equivalency
- Bi-lingual in an Asian language or Spanish a plus, but not required
- 6 months experience in similar field or working with children preferred
- Willingness to be trained
- Ability to work independently, highly motivated, strong multitasking skills
- Basic computer skills
- Knowledge of CPR/First Aid, and fire safety a plus
The hourly rate will be at $24.00.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include your name and “Residential Supporter Temporary” in the subject. No calls, please.
Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer.