Volunteer Engagement Coordinator (Full-Time)
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Founded in 1982 as the New York Asian Women’s Center and renamed in 2017, Womankind works tirelessly to create a future where we Rise Above Violence and our communities can innovate towards collective well-being, restoration, and social justice. Womankind uses the multidimensionality of its Asian heritage to work alongside survivors of gender-based violence as they build a path to healing.
All services are rooted in Womankind’s philosophy of supporting survivors’ rights to self-determination and self-sufficiency in building their futures (i.e., their own agency). Womankind is one of the largest Asian-focused domestic violence organizations in the United States and is a leader in providing innovative and award-winning multilingual and culturally responsive services. Womankind offers a wide variety of services in 18+ Asian languages and dialects, including: a toll-free 24/7 multilingual helpline, safe and confidential emergency residences (shelters), counseling, family law and immigration legal assistance, wellness activities, creative arts therapy, support groups, and economic empowerment workshops.
Through our multilingual and culturally responsive services, Womankind has become an expert in serving Asian women and their children. However, our services are equally valuable for the many non-Asians, the men and boys, and members of the LGBTQ community that we serve. Womankind helps those impacted by violence in all stages of life move forward from isolation to connectedness and surviving to thriving.
Womankind started as a volunteer effort 40 years ago, founded by a group of community members volunteering their time to address violence in their community. While we have since grown, volunteers remain integral in all aspects of Womankind’s activities and operations. In fact, some programs are staffed almost entirely by volunteers. Womankind volunteers conduct community outreach and education, provide services to violence survivors, take helpline calls, tutor, and mentor children, provide administrative support, raise funds to support our programs, and much more. The Volunteer Engagement Coordinator is instrumental in coordinating and advancing Womankind’s robust volunteer engagement initiatives.
- Oversight of all aspects of volunteer engagement, including recruitment, screening,
orientation, training, recognition, placement, tracking, and communications
Oversight of internship placements
- Develop, promote, and maintain a wide range of volunteer opportunities within
- Survey staff regularly to assess needs for volunteer assistance
- Maintain volunteer position descriptions for each volunteer assignment
- Ensure volunteers are staffed to support the various areas of operations
- Recommend the most efficient use of volunteers, appropriate volunteer/supervisory mix, and future workforce needs to support volunteer services and operations.
- Conduct and/or arrange for volunteer orientation and training
- Develop and manage volunteer policies, procedures, and standards of volunteer service
- Capacity-build among staff, including technical assistance and trainings
- Assess feedback received through comment forms
- Evaluate all aspects of volunteer programs to ensure effectiveness and to recommend/implement changes as appropriate
- Maintain accurate records, track and report on volunteer and intern activities, assignments, and hours
- Collect, maintain, and monitor volunteer data and records
- Develop management reports to document and communicate the goals, initiatives and progress of the volunteer program.
- Recruit, interview and place applicants for volunteer work
- Promote Womankind’s volunteer openings through online postings, email, tabling, and presentations
- Screen prospective volunteers by reviewing application forms, conducting interviews, and processing background checks
- Support volunteer communications, including the creation of brochures, monthly newsletters, and e-blasts
- Provide ongoing support and guidance for volunteers
- Act as a single point of contact for communications
- Confer with volunteers to resolve grievances and promote cooperation and interest
- Plan and coordinate continuing education for volunteers
- Organize and participate in volunteer recognition programs and special events
Special projects and other duties as assigned, such as assistance with in-kind donations and, on occasion, Operations related duties.
- Liaise with affiliated schools to place students in the field of social work, human services, art therapy, and related fields.
- Ensure proper adherence to labor standards as it relates to unpaid internship opportunities
- Proven experience as a Volunteer Coordinator or similar position
- Experience serving as a volunteer and/or working with volunteers
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Excellent ability to communicate orally and in writing to a wide range of people
- Effective planning, time management, and organization skills
- Proven ability to maintain good working relationships with a variety of people and groups, including funders, community partners, volunteers, and staff
- Highly resourceful, self-directed, and flexible with excellent team coordination abilities
- Must be able to meet strict deadlines and adapt to changing deadlines
- Flexible hours required, including some weekday nights and weekends
- Experience using Volgistics or another volunteer management application preferred
- Knowledge about dynamics of domestic violence, sexual violence, and human trafficking in immigrant communities preferred
- BS/BA in business administration, human resources, social services or relevant field preferred
Womankind offers a competitive and outstanding compensation package. Annual salary range for this position is between $52,000 and $55,000, based on the candidate’s experience, skill set, education, and other criteria. Top benefits include health/dental/vision/FSA plans, generous paid time off, holidays, 403(B) retirement plan, commuter transit program, and much more.
How to Apply:
Email resume, cover letter, and salary expectations to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. No calls, please.
Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer.