Residential Advocate (Spanish, Mandarin, Cantonese)
Reports to: Manager, Residential Programs
Womankind uses the multidimensionality of our Asian heritage to work alongside survivors of gender-based violence as they build a path to healing. We are working tirelessly to create a future where we Rise Above Violence and our communities can innovate towards collective well-being, restoration, and social justice.
Survivors of domestic and sexual violence can find refuge, recovery, and renewal at Womankind’s two emergency residences. We strive to offer support and assistance in accessing services and resources. Our goal is to provide support and guidance to survivors so that they can live their lives free of abuse. We believe this is achieved when they can gain harmony in their lives and a sense of belonging to a community. Through these gains, individuals can recover from trauma and pursue independent lives.
The residential programs at Womankind are unique in that:
- We utilize a survivor-centered, trauma-informed, culturally congruent, and evidence-informed model of practice called MAP (Moving Ahead Positively). Survivors can transcend from trauma through assistance in regaining trust and hope, which predominantly occurs via the power of relationship.
- Holistic wellness is another crucial component that is explored within residential services as trauma impacts the body, mind and spirit as much as it impacts life circumstances. Through voluntary group and individual wellness practices including acupuncture, trauma-sensitive yoga, Qi Gong exercises, and meditation, survivors have an opportunity to engage in a reconnection of the body, mind and spirit.
- We also seek to support the development of a community of support for processing and understanding the individual impact of trauma. In integrating our services throughout our various community-based programming, more avenues of assistance and support is offered to a survivor who can now pick and choose options of service provision that best meet their respective needs. For example, children and youth can participate in therapeutic art-based programs. Housing, employment and legal immigration services are also available.
- While Womankind serves mostly women and children, we take pride in providing services to survivors of various gender identities.
- This is a full-time position. The work schedule for the positions includes two-day shifts (9 am-5 pm) and three late shifts (1 pm-9 pm) from Monday to Friday. The non-traditional shift times are to better support Residential clients and their availability to interact with services we offer.
- Manage a caseload of 5-9 clients within the Residential Programs, providing counseling, case management and accompaniment services for clients’ legal, immigration, entitlement, and housing needs
- Maintain proper documentation of case work and organization of case files
- Contribute to supporting the well-being and advancement of families via structured activities and collaborating with children’s programming to support the enhancement of the bond within the family unit, advocate and fellow team members within the Residential Programs, and across the organization
- Provide facilitation of support groups based on the needs of the house at the time
- Perform maintenance tasks as needed (for example, room preparation and light cleaning)
- Ensure that the residence is appropriately staffed according to regulations, meaning the staff member cannot leave until her/his replacement arrives and must be on call for extra shifts in case of emergency
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Must be fluent in English and Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese
- Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field required, or two years’ equivalent experience in related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in domestic/sexual violence work or other humanitarian work a big plus
- Experience in working in a residential setting/ high paced environment preferred
- Ability to work independently, highly motivated, possess multitasking skills
- Strong computer skills required
- Vocational, counseling, crisis management experience a big plus
- Knowledge of CPR/First Aid, and fire safety a plus
Womankind offers a competitive and outstanding compensation package. Annual salary range for this position is between $50,000 and $52,000, based on the candidate’s experience, skill set, education, and other criteria. Top benefits include health/dental/vision insurance, generous paid time off, 403(b) retirement plan, and much more.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include your name and “Residential Advocate” in the subject line. No calls, please.
Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer.