On-Call Resident Supporter
Reports to: Manager or Associate Director, Residential Programs
Womankind uses the multidimensionality of our Asian heritage to work alongside survivors of gender-based violence as they build a path to healing. We are working tirelessly to create a future where we Rise Above Violence and our communities can innovate towards collective well-being, restoration, and social justice.
Survivors of domestic and sexual violence can find refuge, recovery, and renewal at Womankind’s two emergency residences. We strive to offer support and assistance in accessing services and resources. Our goal is to provide support and guidance to survivors so that they can live their lives free of abuse. We believe this is achieved when they can gain harmony in their lives and a sense of belonging to a community. Through these gains, individuals can recover from trauma and pursue independent lives.
The residential programs at Womankind are unique in that:
- We utilize a survivor-centered, trauma-informed, culturally congruent, and evidence-informed model of practice called MAP (Moving Ahead Positively). Survivors can transcend from trauma through assistance in regaining trust and hope, which predominantly occurs via the power of relationship.
- Holistic wellness is another crucial component that is explored within residential services as trauma impacts the body, mind and spirit as much as it impacts life circumstances. Through voluntary group and individual wellness practices including acupuncture, trauma-sensitive yoga, Qi Gong exercises, and meditation, survivors have an opportunity to engage in a reconnection of the body, mind and spirit.
- We also seek to support the development of a community of support for processing and understanding the individual impact of trauma. In integrating our services throughout our various community-based programming, more avenues of assistance and support is offered to a survivor who can now pick and choose options of service provision that best meet their respective needs. For example, children and youth can participate in therapeutic art-based programs. Housing, employment and legal immigration services are also available.
- While Womankind serves mostly women and children, we take pride in providing services to survivors of various gender identities.
The On-Call Resident Supporter’s primary responsibilities are to provide coverage at the residence on an as-needed basis, to ensure smooth operations of Womankind facilities, and to answer helpline calls. The On-Call Resident Supporter (RS) may agree to stand in for all or some of the permanent staff positions as desired, covering weekdays, weeknights, weekday afternoons, weekend days, or weekend nights, or a combination of the above.
- Ensure the facility is maintained in a safe and harmonious manner, including helping residents manage crises, solve problems, and resolve conflicts
- Support and strengthen the functioning of women and their children as well as other Womankind staff
- Ensure the well-being and advancement of the children in the residence. If working on weekdays, provide direct child care services that are safe and comforting to children, including feeding/changing, supervising, empowering and enriching children; prepare and record meals according to CACFP regulations; coordinate child enrichment programs; and work with the residents' advocates to improve care and functioning of the children.
- If working day shifts at any time, perform in-person assessment of incoming clients. If working night or weekend shifts, answer helpline.
- Liaise and communicate with external individuals
- Perform maintenance tasks as needed (for example, room preparation and light cleaning)
- Ensure that the residence is appropriately staffed according to regulations, meaning the staff member cannot leave until her/his replacement arrives and must be on call for extra shifts in case of emergency
- Other duties as assigned by management
- High school diploma or high school equivalency
- Bilingual in an Asian language or Spanish a plus, but not required
- 6 months experience in similar field or working with children preferred
- Ability to work independently, highly motivated, possess multitasking skills
- Basic computer skills
- Willingness to be trained
- Knowledge of CPR/First Aid, fire safety a plus
- Ability to drive in the city a plus
- Daytime and evening time availability preferred
$19.00 per hour based on experience, skill set, and other criteria.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com. Please include your name and “On-Call Resident Supporter” in the subject line. No calls, please.
Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer.