Events Associate (Part-Time)
Reports to: Development Manager
Founded 40 years ago as the New York Asian Women’s Center and renamed in 2017, Womankind works tirelessly to create a future where we Rise Above Violence and our communities can innovate towards collective well-being, restoration, and social justice. Womankind uses the multidimensionality of its Asian heritage to work alongside survivors of gender-based violence as they build a path to healing.
All services are rooted in Womankind’s philosophy of supporting survivors’ rights to self-determination and self-sufficiency in building their futures (i.e., their own agency). Womankind is one of the largest Asian-focused domestic violence organizations in the United States and is a leader in providing innovative and award-winning multilingual and culturally responsive services. Womankind offers a wide variety of services in 18+ Asian languages and dialects, including: a toll-free 24/7 multilingual helpline, safe and confidential emergency residences (shelters), counseling, family law and immigration legal assistance, wellness activities, creative arts therapy, support groups, and economic empowerment workshops.
Womankind is seeking an experienced Events Associate (part time) to join our Development Team, currently comprised of a Director of Development, Grants Manager, Development Manager, and a part-time Communications Associate. This role will be responsible for the coordination, planning, and implementation of the agency’s cultivation and fundraising events. They will work closely with event committees, the Board of Directors, and the Development team to execute a successful calendar of events - both in-person and virtual - with a major focus on the annual gala. We are currently planning for an in-person Gala for our 40th Anniversary in October of 2022.
Event Organizing, Planning, and Implementation
- Serve as the Events Planner/Coordinator for Womankind’s annual gala as well as smaller fundraising events and general Womankind events (including online virtual events).
- Organize and participate in committee meetings, strategy sessions and specific tasks related to successful event planning and implementation (e.g., goals, theme, structure, logistics, evaluation).
- Develop detailed timelines and plan of actions for pre-event, event-day and post-event tasks with deadlines, team/committee assignments, and a plan for follow up. Create and distribute meeting agendas and key priorities as needed.
- Develop detailed timelines and plan of actions for pre-event, event-day and post-event tasks with deadlines, team/committee assignments, and a plan for follow up.
- Manage and oversee events on the day of, including directing event set up, managing event volunteers, communicating with staff, organizing vendors and managing take-down.
- Organize, coordinate and/or operate front of house, in-person or virtual, operations on the day of events, including but not limited to registration, final seating and table charts, event flow, technology, set up and management of silent and live auctions.
- Ensure the evaluation of event activities and identify opportunities to improve results.
- In collaboration with event committees, help identify key event participants, including honorees, sponsors, technology partners, and vendors.
- Work with the Communications Associate, pro-bono Creative Director, and relevant committees/hosts, to create sponsorship proposals and marketing materials.
- Track prospect, participant, and event information in the database.
- Manage relationships with event vendors and work with them on production and logistical needs.
- Provide troubleshooting.
- Develop financial goals for each event and a corresponding plan to meet these goals.
- Manage expenditures in a manner that maximizes both event quality and fundraising return on investment.
- Work with Development Associate to issue invoices and collect payments in a timely fashion, focusing on donor/sponsor stewardship.
- Create event financial reports.
Event Volunteer Management
- Recruit, coordinate, support and motivate community and/or staff volunteers.
- Develop and refine job descriptions for all volunteers, provide appropriate training and ensure meaningful acknowledgement.
- Bachelor’s degree or non-profit management preferred.
- Three plus years’ experience in corporate development, event planning or fundraising required, including experience in donor or customer relations.
- Strong computer and social media skills.
- Knowledge of non-profit entities and possible tax advantages for donors and contributions.
- Experience managing volunteers preferred.
- Superior flexibility and adaptability, demonstrated success working in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be available to work on occasional evenings and weekends to support the events.
- Self-starter, able to initiate and complete tasks, and to work both independently and as a member of a team.
- Proven administrative abilities.
- Strong attention to detail with and follow through skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
This is a part-time position at an average of 30 hours a work week which is eligible for benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience but is based/pro-rated for a $50K-$55K annualized salary.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name and position you are applying for in the subject. No phone calls, please. Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer.