Weekend Residential Supporter (Part-Time)
Reports to: Manager, Residential Programs
Womankind works with survivors of gender-based violence to rise above trauma and build a path to healing. We bring critical resources and deep cultural competency to help Asian and other communities find refuge, recovery, and renewal. We serve survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking, and sexual violence of all ages. We provide innovative healing services and award-winning assistance to individuals and families. Depending on circumstance, they have access to a safe place to live, assistance with housing, employment, English language training, legal immigration assistance, financial empowerment, and so much more.
Survivors of domestic and sexual violence can find refuge, recovery and renewal at Womankind’s two emergency residences. We strive to offer support and assistance in accessing services and resources. Our goal is to provide support and guidance to survivors so that they can live their lives free of abuse. We believe this is achieved when they can gain harmony in their lives and a sense of belonging to a community. Through these gains, individuals can recover from trauma and pursue independent lives.
The residential programs at Womankind are unique in that:
- We utilize a survivor-centered, trauma-informed, culturally congruent, and evidence-informed model of practice called MAP (Moving Ahead Positively). Survivors can transcend from trauma through assistance in regaining trust and hope, which predominantly occurs via the power of relationship.
- Holistic wellness is another crucial component that is explored within residential services as trauma impacts the body, mind and spirit as much as it impacts life circumstances. Through voluntary group and individual wellness practices including acupuncture, trauma-sensitive yoga, Qi Gong exercises, and meditation, survivors have an opportunity to engage in a reconnection of the body, mind and spirit.
- We also seek to support the development of a community of support for processing and understanding the individual impact of trauma. In integrating our services throughout our various community-based programming, more avenues of assistance and support is offered to a survivor who can now pick and choose options of service provision that best meet their respective needs. For example, children and youth can participate in therapeutic art-based programs. Housing, employment and legal immigration services are also available.
- We offer a transitional housing program, which on a time-limited basis, subsidizes rental of permanent dwelling for a number of survivors and their children, to those who meet the requirements.
- While Womankind serves mostly women and children, we take pride in providing services to survivors of various gender identities.
The Resident Supporter’s primary responsibilities are to ensure smooth operations of Womankind facilities, and to answer helpline calls. The shift schedules are 7AM-7PM shifts on Saturdays and Sundays.
- This is a part-time position.
- Ensure the facility is maintained in a safe and harmonious manner, including helping residents manage crises, solve problems, and resolve conflicts.
- Manage a caseload of 5-8 clients within the Residential Programs, providing counseling, case management and accompaniment services for clients’ legal, immigration, entitlement, and housing needs.
- Answer the helpline
- Manage inventory as needed
- Support and strengthen the functioning of residents as well as fellow Womankind team members
- Liaise and communicate with outside agents.
- Perform maintenance tasks as needed (for example, room preparation and light cleaning)
- Ensure that the residence is appropriately staffed according to regulations, meaning the staff member cannot leave until her/his replacement arrives and must be on call for extra shifts in case of emergency
- Other duties as assigned by management
- Bi-lingual in an Asian language is preferred
- 1 year of experience in social services field, or willingness to be trained
- Demonstrated interest and/or experience in domestic/sexual violence work or other humanitarian work a big plus
- Ability to work independently
- Basic computer skills required
- Crisis management exp. a big plus
- Knowledge of CPR/First Aid, and fire safety a plus