Full-Time Advocate (Mandarin/Hindi/Urdu-Speaking)
Reports to: Associate Manager, Queens Community Office
Womankind works with survivors of gender-based violence to rise above trauma and build a path to healing. The goal of the Community Programs is to provide comprehensive direct services that support the recovery of survivors and their children from domestic violence, human trafficking, and sexual violence across the lifespan, in the communities they live. The Advocate’s primary responsibilities are to ensure that all clients receive prompt and professional services and provide therapeutic support that encourages self- sufficiency and empowerment.
Founded in 1982, Womankind is the first organization on the East Coast to address the issues of domestic violence in the Asian communities. Through our multilingual and culturally responsive services, Womankind has become an expert in serving Asian women and their children. However, our services are equally valuable for the many non-Asians, the men and boys, and members of the LGBTQ* community that we serve. Womankind helps those impacted by violence in all stages of life move forward from isolation to connectedness and surviving to thriving.
- Manage a caseload of survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking, and sexual violence, including older adults.
- Provide clients with assessment, supportive counseling, crisis intervention, various advocacies (in-person and/or via phone/email)
- Provide clients with legal, immigration, entitlement, housing, and education information and referrals.
- Maintain proper documentation of case work and organization of case files.
- Coordinate with co-workers to provide office coverage and answer the helpline.
- Represent Womankind in outreach, community education events, and task force meetings.
- Other duties as assigned by the executive director.
- Experience with anti-violence work, the Asian community, legal system, criminal justice, client advocacy.
- Bachelors in social work or related field; Masters a plus.
- Must be fluent in English and Mandarin/Hindi/Urdu (oral and written proficiency preferred)
- Ability to be self-directing, highly motivated, and working with team.
- Flexible hours required.
Email resume and cover letter to: email@example.com
Please include your name and the position you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls, please. Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer