Reports to: Executive Director
Womankind is the largest agency in the country focused on serving Asian survivors of domestic violence, human trafficking and sexual assault. Founded in 1982 as the New York Asian Women’s Center, Womankind is the second oldest Asian Pacific American gender-based-violence agency in the country. It is one of the largest minority-run and minority-governed GBV agencies in New York State. Womankind is the only pan Asian agency with a 24/7 multi-lingual hotline and NYS licensed emergency shelter program on the east coast. Womankind provides counseling, case management and advocacy services for over 1,400 women and children each year. We offer legal immigration and legal family services, ESL, employment, housing and financial literacy services. About 80% of our $6.2 million budget is from government funding. The rest is from individuals, foundations and corporations. Womankind has more than 80 staff. We have 6 sites.
Our Controller is part of a management team focused on helping manage funds provided by government grants, foundations, and fundraising efforts. With an Accountant, the Womankind Controller would manage 17 Federal, State and City grants and about approximately twenty foundation and corporate grants.
The Controller role is hands-on, including bookkeeping, accounting, cash flow management and grants management responsibilities. Financial planning, management and analysis are integral components of the position as are creating a budget, managing payroll, overseeing bank accounts and working with our external auditors. Reporting includes creating financial statements, developing projections, tracking variances, and managing the investment reports produced by our external financial providers.
- Work with the Executive Director to manage the organization’s finances, planning, reporting and analysis, and setting annual budgets that guide organizational priorities and decision- making
- Manage the associate controller and bookkeeper
- Oversee the day-to-day management of accounting, financial reporting, grants management, cash-flow analysis and the yearly budgeting process
- Ensure compliance with the standards and reporting requirements of external stakeholders, including funders, auditors, donors, foundations and other relevant entities
- Work closely with the Board Treasurer, finance committee and audit committee
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director
- At least 3-5 years of hands-on experience in finance and administration
- Direct accounting/controller experience or close supervision of accounting and controller functions
- Strong non-profit finance experience, including overseeing audits
- Track-record of success managing and delivering results for multiple stakeholders in a fast-paced environment
- Superior analytical skills and a comfort level with strategic planning
- Experience in managing government grants
- Flexibility combined with the ability to multi-task; comfort working in a fast-paced and expanding organization, while also driving toward clarity and solutions
- Strong emotional intelligence, with the ability to listen and communicate effectively with a wide variety of internal and external constituents
- CPA with hands-on financial management experience highly preferred
- Extensive working knowledge of business accounting software highly required; Experience with Fund EZ preferred
- Excellent quantitative, analytic, oral and written communication skills
Competitive Salary & Benefits Package. Womankind is an Equal Opportunity Employer
How to apply:
Email resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include your name and position you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls or recruiter calls.